May 14, 2014 02:37
by Julia Ngo
As it gets closer to winter, oxblood - a deep rich red with dark chocolate undertones - has become every designer’s go-to colour. The look we’re aiming for here is witchy glamour think sophisticated, sultry and slightly edgy with oxblood lips, alabaster skin and kohl rimmed eyes. Vlogger Julia Ngo has it mastered.
First, begin with a matte-finish foundation and add a neutral yet smoky eye. Don’t go overboard as the focus should be on your burgundy lips. Choose an oxblood lipstick with blue undertones if you have fair skin or one with brown undertones if you have a deeper complexion. As you apply, blot between coats using a tissue for a long-lasting stain. This look goes perfectly with navy, black, wine and other dark tones in our winter wardrobes.
Quick tips for the perfect oxblood lip
1. Apply lip balm prior to applying your bold burgundy lip colour. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for the balm to penetrate the lip before blotting the excess off with a tissue.
2. Use a small amount of creamy under-eye concealer to line the lips and accentuate your pout. Always remember to blend!
3. You can apply a burgundy lip stain under your lipstick for colour with more dimension and staying power.
4. Once you’re done, lightly pat with oil-blotting papers. This removes emollients while leaving the pigment in place!
5. We recommend balancing out your statement oxblood lip by keeping the rest of your makeup light, minimal and modern.
Your Shopping List:
1. Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Concealer in ‘Brightener’ - $18.95, Priceline
2. Rimmel London Wake Me Up Foundation - $19.95, Priceline
3. Maybelline New York Dream Lumi Concealer - $17.95, Priceline
4. Maybelline New York Fit Me Powder - $14.95, Priceline
5. Revecen Eyeshadows - $13.05, Revecen
6. Stila Convertible Colour in ‘Peony’ - $24.10, BeautyBay
7. Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Shape Brow Pencil in ‘Deep Brown’ - $11.50, Priceline
8. Nature Republic – By Flower Eye Shadow in ‘Matt Ivory’ - $7.20, W2Beauty
9. Maybelline New York Color Tattoo 24H Metal Eyeshadow in ‘Barely Branded’ -$11.95, Priceline
10. Maybelline New York Master Precise Liner in ‘Blackest Black’ - $13.95, Priceline
11. Rimmel London Lash Accelerator Endless Mascara - $17.95, Priceline
12. Etude House Soft Touch Auto Lipliner in ‘#04’ - $6.90, YesStyle
13. Napoleon Perdis Lip Patrol Lipstick in ‘Corporal Drama’ - $13.20, Amazon / BeautyEncounter
14. Maybelline New York SuperStay 14HR Lipcolour in ‘Enduring Ruby’ - $18.95, Priceline
15. Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipcolor in ‘Plum Perfect’ - $16.95, Priceline