May 27, 2014 12:45
by Jessica-Anne Lyons
Rohani and Rosalie, the polished pair behind Melbourne’s The Super Rad Nail Sisters, wanted to bring the incredible nail art designs they were admiring on the internet to Melbourne. And so they decided to take matters into their own hands (literally).
What got you into nail art?
As kids, we were always painting our nails and dying our hair crazy colours. After studying fine art/textiles and animation/illustration, we decided to start using our talents on the micro canvases that were our nails!
How many polishes do you own?
We recently moved studios so we went through a pretty ruthless cull of our polishes. We’ve got them down to around 200!
Who’s your dream celebrity client?
M.I.A. We’d do something super blinged out to match her outfits.
Besides polish, what is your favorite beauty product?
Lipstick! We feel naked if we leave the house without it.
The Super Rad Nail Sisters’ 5 top tips for nailing nail art:
1. Use a base coat: It helps the coloured polish stick to the nail and stops any staining if you’re using dark colours.
2. Master the dotting tool: You can create so many rad designs just using dots – leopard print, for example!
3. Price doesn’t dictate quality: A $2 nail polish can be just as good as a $20 nail polish (or better!).
4. Follow and support your fellow nail artists: Be inspired by them, but always give credit where credit is due.
5. And finally: Practice, practice, practice!
Can you share one of your favourite designs with us?
This step-by-step tutorial was inspired by Floss Gloss’s Super ‘70s Summer Set. We pulled shapes and patterns from memories of our parents’ bed sheets from the ‘70s.
Here's where to find out more thesuperradnailsisters.com