Mar 18, 2013 01:45
by Natasha Saroca
Ever wished you had a crystal ball so you could gaze into your fashion future? If you don’t have one lying around at home (no, we didn’t think so...), the good news is that you don’t need to rely on the mystical powers that be to get a sneak peek of what you’ll be wearing in the months ahead.
Fashion Month is the ultimate fashion fortune teller. Made up of Fashion Weeks in New York, London, Milan and Paris, the four-week extravaganza allows the world’s leading designers to showcase their latest collections on the catwalk, and in doing so, give us a glimpse of what looks we’ll learn to love or loathe in the season to come.
Last week we filled you in on the top trends from the Milan and Paris runways, so this time, we’ve turned our attention to where the Fall 2013 fashion show season began: New York and London.
1. 50 shades of grey: From soft ash to gunmetal grey, this versatile tone was a favourite with many fashion labels, including sass & bide, DKNY, Rachel Zoe and Calvin Klein.
2. Cape love: One part practical, three parts pure sophistication, the cape is 2013’s must-have fashion item. It was seen in many forms on the catwalk, from ultra-minimal designs to elegant, embellished creations.
3. Dark romance: Moody prints, touch-me textures and deep, decadent tones were paired together to create ethereal pieces with a dark, modern edge.
4. Green with envy: While green was another go-to colour this season, there was one shade that stuck out: emerald. There’s no hiding from Pantone’s ‘it’ colour for 2013 this season.
5. Fur real: We can’t even begin to count the number of designers who embraced fur in their A/W 2013 collections. Please stick with the faux kind, friends.
6. Military chic: We haven’t seen this old fashion faithful in a while. This season, khaki and camo prints took shape in everything from boxy suits and classic shifts to sultry dresses and casual weekend-wear.
7. Modern ladylike: Feminine silhouettes and flourishes were given a modern update, with statement shades, an unexpected mix of materials, and accessories with attitude.
8. Pretty in pink: From sugary sweet pastels to eye-popping brights, pink is undoubtedly one of the hottest shades of the season. Don’t fight it.
9. Print blocking: Move over colour blocking, pairing prints is a trend that’s one to watch. Try it at home by teaming patterns in similar tones, or be brave and wear clashing creations.
10. Thigh-high boots: Throw out your ankle boots, and stock up on these thigh-high babies instead. After all, if Tom Ford and Phillip Lim are loving them silly, who are we to argue?
11. Neck candy: No, we’re not talking statement necklaces but turtlenecks. Yes, they’re back, and in a big way.
12. Pump up the volume: Vera Wang and McQ by Alexander McQueen were just two of the high-fashion labels that embraced full-bodied skirts, billowing drapery and oversized outerwear. It’s a trend that’s fun and forgiving.
Which looks do you rate or hate?