Mar 14, 2014 03:59
by Natasha Saroca
Who is your fave celebrity style icon? Do you look to supermodel Kate Moss for fashion inspo or is Sarah Jessica Parker (a.k.a. Carrie Bradshaw, a.k.a. the fictional character whose wardrobe we’d love to raid) your sartorial soul mate?
Celebs like these famous fashionistas have long been just as well known for their envy-inducing looks on and off the red carpet than their work in front of the camera, but these days some are taking their roles as style influencers one step further – now they don’t just wear fashion-forward clothes, accessories and kicks, but design them, too!
Want to know which stars have started their own labels or have collaborated with top international design houses? Here are 10 celebs-turned-designers whose collections we love.
1. Kate Moss: Were you, like us, devastated when Kate and Topshop ended their partnership in 2010, after the top model designed several collections for the high-street label? Well, we’ve got good…no, great…news: Kate is working on a new line for the retailer, which will go on sale this April. We. Can’t. Wait.
2. Cameron Diaz: Last year, Cameron was named the artistic director of luxe footwear and accessories brand, Pour La Victoire, and will have a hand in designing and marketing its new collections. She also bought a stake in the brand’s parent company, so the red-carpet favourite obviously means business!
3. Sarah Jessica Parker: SJP has teamed with George Malkemus, CEO of Manolo Blahnik, to launch a line of swoon-worthy shoes – aptly named, SJP – for US department store Nordstrom. How did the collection, which features a design called ‘The Carrie’, come about? “Sarah called me and said she'd been thinking a lot about shoes. Before she could finish that sentence, I said, "Be in my office tomorrow morning,"' George recently told O Magazine.
4. Cara Delevingne: This supermodel is not just a pretty face – she can sing, act and has mad design skills, too! Cara has designed a collection of luxe leather bags in collaboration with British label Mulberry – they’re classic yet undeniably cool, and bound to become this year’s newest ‘It’ bag.
5. Nicole Ritchie: She’s come a long way since The Simple Days, hasn’t she? Over the years, Nicole has launched several labels, including her popular accessories line, House of Harlow 1960, and clothing collection, Winter Kate. Both labels are named after her daughter, Harlow Winter Kate Madden.
6. Kate Hudson: She’s been the face of the label for several years, but now US womenswear brand Ann Taylor has asked actress Kate Hudson to design a capsule collection for label. The casualwear line is inspired by Kate’s red-carpet looks.
7. Rihanna: The award-winning singer has designed several collections for UK label River Island, the first of which launched at the start of 2013. Each range has been uber-successful, even finding celeb fans in Cara Delevingne and Serena Williams.
8. Victoria Beckham: From Spice Girl to bona fide fashion superstar, Victoria Beckham is the ultimate celebrity-turned-fashion-designer. She launched her label in 2009, after previously being the face of several high-end labels like Dolce and Gabanna and Marc Jacobs, and collaborating with denim brand Rock and Republic for several years in the early noughties.
9. Gwyneth Paltrow: When you’re besties with a renowned designer, it’s only a matter of time before you combine forces, right? “I went to Stella and asked if she would collaborate with me,” the actress recently told WWD. “She never had done a collaboration like this before until I strong-armed her. She's the most insanely amazing designer." The chic collection, which is exclusively available via Gwyneth’s website, goop, includes wardrobe staples like a classic black blazer, knits and organic denim.
10. Zooey Deschanel: New Girl leading lady Zooey Deschanel has teamed up with Tommy Hilfiger to create a fashion line – To Tommy, From Zooey – for US department store Macys. The vintage-inspired collection is cute and preppy – in fact, the pieces are very similar to the clothes her character, Jess, wears on the hit show.