Jul 29, 2014 05:37
by Natasha Saroca
Have you just gotten into the groove of dressing for winter? Well, don’t get too comfortable with your cold-weather wardrobe, because the new Spring/Summer 2014/2015 collections are now hitting stores (finally!), which means it’s time to set your sights on what you’ll be wearing next season instead.
To help you build the perfect spring/summer wardrobe, we’ve asked five of Australia’s most fashionable stylists (and social media and blogging stars) to tell us the top 10 items that are on their shopping lists for next season, as well as their thoughts on new trends, and need-to-know shopping and style tips. Armed with their expert advice, we’re pretty confident you’ll be able to create the ultimate master list of all the must-haves you need (plus where to find them and how to style them!) for the warmer months ahead.
Kicking off the series is our Q&A with Chloé Hill, Instyle Magazine’s Fashion Market Editor, and the founder and editor of one of our fave fashion blogs, ByChill.com – seriously, if you haven’t discovered her website yet, you need to sort that out, stat!
What are the top 10 must-have items on your spring/summer shopping list?
1. A super-cute backpack (preferably in a pretty print) will be my go-to for summer. Not only is it the ultimate in practicality, it’s also a great way to test this season's sport-luxe trend.
Her pick: Marni Printed Lightweight Backpack from MATCHESFASHION.COM, $489.
2. As the temperature rises, a pair of sleek silky shorts is an ideal choice. I don't often buy black, but this versatile style is perfect to wear with existing coloured pieces I own.
Her pick: Witchery Trim Beach Short, $69.95.
3. A flattering full skirt in a dramatic floral print is the ideal day-to-night piece.
Her pick: Zimmermann Racer Azalea Skirt, $1200.
4. I love a cat-eye sunnies; these are a fun take on the classic style.
Her pick: Pared Eyewear Puss and Boots Black & Leopard Sunglasses, $240.
5. Sweatshirts are still going strong this season. I absolutely love this textured style.
Her pick: 3.1 Phillip Lim Embroidered Poodle Sweatshirt from MATCHESFASHION.COM, $450.
6. I can't go past denim shorts for summer ... although I'll probably need to do a few extra pilates classes before donning this skimpy pair!!!
Her pick: Saint Laurent High-Rise Denim Shorts from NET-A-PORTER, $514.32.
7. A minimalist approach to footwear isn't a bad thing; these fresh white sandals will easily work back with off-duty denim or summer dresses.
Her pick: SENSO Fifi I White-Grained Kid Sandals, $220.
8. A pastel blue bikini suits any skin tone, plus this style's pretty ruffles fit my feminine style to a tee!
Her pick: made by Dawn Petal Mint Bikini from désordre, $210.
9. Drop earrings will be an elegant addition to my summer dresses. I love the mix of modern metal and resin.
Her pick: Elke Disorientation Earrings, $140.
10. My top beauty must-have for summer is a rich body cream. I wear a lot of skirts, so it pays to have moisturised pins!
Her pick: Maison Blazac La Creme de La Creme from My Chameleon, $35.
What new-season trends do you love?
I'm currently loving all things 60's inspired, graphic stripes, floral prints, but most of all, I'm digging coordinating sets. From suits to skirt/crop-top combos, I want to spend my summer wearing matchy-matchy pieces.
I'm not a huge fan of Birkenstocks or slides; I'd prefer a pretty espadrille or delicate sandal any day.
What are three spring/summer wardrobe essentials every woman should own?
My vote is for a pair of versatile sandals in a neutral shade, a light cotton dress and a pair of well-cut denim shorts.
Are there any pieces from your winter wardrobe that you’ll continue wearing once the weather warms up?
My sweatshirts will still be on high rotation during summer, along with my lightweight chambray trench.
What are your favourite go-to labels or shopping destinations that you visit each spring and summer?
I pretty much always shop online. Locally, I love My Chameleon and Green with Envy, while internationally I shop from Browns Fashion and mytheresa.com. I also buy at least one piece every season from ANTIPODIUM – I can't get enough of their cute designs!
What’s your idea of the perfect warm weather outfit?
A pretty skirt and tee with sandals is so simple but failsafe.
What celeb/s will you be looking to for style inspo next season?
French actress Léa Seydoux has the sweetest style – I'll definitely be keeping tabs on what she's wearing.
What’s a common fashion faux pas that people women make during the warmer months?
I don't think it's ever OK to have your bra straps on show, even when it’s scorching outside. If you're wearing a cami or a strappy dress, take the time to buy a strapless bra!
So, now we’ve talked fashion, what should we do with our hair and makeup?
I love textured waves and natural makeup, but a coloured lip is always a pretty addition. This season, try classic red or a soft pink.
Finally, do you have any secret styling tips you’d like to share?
My best styling tool is a great pair of shoes! When you're getting dressed always start at the feet. If I have a day of appointments, I know I need a flat shoe so I start from there, then base my outfit around them. There's no point putting together a cute ensemble and then realising you have to wear mismatching footwear!