Jul 28, 2014 12:28
by Lauren Brain
On runways and the streets, wide-legged pants have been making a strong comeback, offering up a different silhouette to the traditional ankle-hugging jeans we’ve collectively been wearing for years.
Remember culottes? If recent collections of both overseas and Australian designers are anything to go by, your memory is certainly about to be jogged. The wide-legged, shin-length, pocketed versions are chic and versatile. Try them at night with a cropped jumper and heels, or wear them with slides/Birks for a sports-luxe inspired weekend look.
Take them down to floor-length in a light and delicate fabric, and you’ve got the ultimate Spring palazzo pant. Go for a lighter colour to avoid them looking too heavy, and if you’ve been looking for an outfit to try in all-white – this is your chance.
Feeling bold? Opt for a printed pair to brighten up your look this winter. The easiest way to make a print work is to keep it super simple on top. Think a simple chambray shirt, crisp button-down, tucked-in slouchy tee, or boxy sweater – and let your pants do all the talking!
Even jeans are getting wider. Street style stars are embracing what Americans might call ‘mom jeans’. Straight through the leg and high-waisted, make sure you cuff them and add a cute pair of coloured heels, and try a moto jacket or statement tee for a standout look.
1. If the Man Repeller is embracing culottes, I’m on board.
2. GET THE LOOK > Derek Lam Heather Gray culottes, $790
3. GET THE LOOK > ASA Straight Mid Length Short, $58.82
4. Kenza Zouiten proves there’s nothing more chic than a white wide-leg pant.
5. GET THE LOOK > Proenza Schouler Pleated crepe culottes, WAS$1,462.45 NOW$731.24
6. GET THE LOOK > Boohoo Ellie textured crepe palazzo trousers, £25
7. GET THE LOOK > Victoria Secret palazzo pant, WAS$88.00 NOW$49.50
8. Natalie Joos rocking Mister Zimi palazzo pants like no other!
9. GET THE LOOK > See by Chloe Artichoke Print skorts in Silk Mix, $617.65
10. GET THE LOOK > Mister Zimi Leopard Cahrlie Pants,WAS $140, now $105
11. ‘Mom Jeans’ - a hybrid of the familiar high-waisted skinny and your beloved boyfriend jeans.
12. GET THE LOOK > Rollas Dusters Decades Blue jean, $149.95
13. GET THE LOOK > River Island Light Wash Mom Jean, $78.45