Aug 18, 2014 12:00
by Natasha Saroca
Jess Pecoraro is one busy lady. The former Junior Fashion Editor of glossy teen bible Dolly, this talented, in-demand stylist now lives the life of a freelancer, which gives her the freedom to work across multiple creative platforms and take on a variety of exciting projects, from working on fashion shoots for magazines, to styling local and international celebs (like R&B superstar Alicia Keys, who Jess worked with during the singer’s Australian tour with last year!).
This week, Jess graciously took time out of her busy schedule to chat with us about what new-season buys she’ll be investing in next season, her thoughts on spring/summer trends and three warm-weather wares every women should own.
What are the top 10 must-have items on your spring/summer shopping list?
1. An off-the-shoulder party dress. They’re simple, chic and an easy wear.
Her pick: Nicholas Riviera Stripe Off Shoulder Dress from Green With Envy, $295.
3. Every season I invest in a pair of great flats, and this spring/summer, it’s all about a chain-style Chanel sandal in black. They’re perfect for day or night.
Her pick: Chanel Suede Chain Sandals
4. Tom Ford polish. This one is fresh, clean and goes with everything
Her pick: Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Coral Beach from David Jones, $45.
5. A sheer, white flowy skirt. Bassike has a beautiful one that I can’t wait to wear with a pair of Birkenstocks and a loose tee,
Her pick: Bassike Sheer Panelled Skirt, $474.
6. Palazzo pants or shorts. They are the ultimate summer pant/shorts and are perfect for summer evenings.
Her pick: Dion Lee Orbit Pant from Désordre, $590.
7. Statement sunglasses. Dolce & Gabbana is my go-to for crazy shades – they just add a little something to any outfit.
Her pick: Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses (DG4232 DG4232), $1200.
8. A Panama hat – always a MUST!
Her pick: Camilo Classic White Panama Hat.
9. Fine gold jewellery. My fave brands are By Charlotte, Petit Grand and Sarah And Sebastian. I love mixing both gold/rose gold and silver, and I'm all about layering.
Her pick: Petite Grand Moon Rings, $110 each.
10. Zimmermann white cotton crochet playsuit. I love a playsuit in summer, because it makes getting ready so much easier and they are so versatile. Wear it to the beach, shopping or at night – all you need is a change of shoes.
Her pick: Zimmermann Hydra Broidery Playsuit, $350.
What are three spring/summer wardrobe essentials that every woman should own?
A great fitting bikini, the perfect dress you can wear day or night, and a statement strappy heel.
Are there any pieces from your winter wardrobe that you’ll continue wearing once the weather warms up? What are they?
Yes, my Equipment shirts that I wear all-year round, as they go with everything and make any outfit look polished. My go-to colours are always grey/white and black, yet each season I do like to splurge on a printed or a more detailed one.
What are your favourite go-to labels or shopping destinations that you visit each spring and summer?
If I'm not shopping online or overseas, my fave shopping destination would have to be Paddington's Intersection – they have all my fave brands, as well as my fave breakfast spot!
What’s your idea of the perfect warm weather outfit?
My perfect warm-weather outfit would have to be a loose-fitting tee (a grey/white or stripe is always best; I love the fit and feel of tees from Bassike), paired with denim cut-offs, statement sunglasses and Chanel espadrilles.
What celeb/s will you be looking to for style inspo next season?
Leandra Medine and Chiara Ferragni are my go-to people for style inspo.
What’s a common fashion faux pas that people women make during the warmer months?
Wearing denim shorts which are WAY too short!!!!!
So, now we’ve talked fashion, what should we do with our hair and makeup?
Summer should be about feeling fresh, so go for fresh, natural makeup – a little mascara and maybe a lip for the evening. Natural beach hair is my fave, or a messy low or top bun.
Finally, do you have any secret styling tips you’d like to share?
No matter what you wear, wear it with confidence. And don’t wear something just because it’s a trend.
All images courtesy of Jess Pecoraro.