Sep 25, 2014 02:29
by Natasha Saroca
Here it is, the last instalment of our special series on what some of Australia’s busiest and most stylish stylists will be adding to their wardrobes (which we’re assuming are pretty amazing already…) this spring and summer. This time, it’s freelance stylist and fashion editor Kirsten Butler’s turn to reveal what’s on her spring/summer shopping list – and let me tell you, if you tend to live at the beach at this time of year, you’ll love her short-list, because it’s filled with fun, playful pieces that are perfect to wear and take with you on days that you plan to spend hitting the waves and kicking back on the sand!
As well as finding out her top spring/summer picks, we quizzed Kirsten – who has styled shoots for some Australia’s fave mags, campaigns for leading brands and retailers, and well-known celebs over the years – on her favourite shopping destinations, warm-weather wardrobe essentials every woman should own, plus her thoughts on new-season trends. Keen to know all her shopping and styling secrets? All is revealed below…
What are the top 10 must-have items on your spring/summer-shopping list?
1. An easy summer beach dress. Kate Kosek has created the most beautiful prints for Gorman this season – I love this print.
Her pick: Gorman Kate Kosek Get Ziggy Dress, $299.
2. A big beach bag – I love the tassels and the boho print on this Tigerlily bag.
Her pick: Tigerlily Star Jasmine Bag, $99.95.
3. These vintage Jean Paul Gaultier green tortoiseshell sunglasses are gorgeous and perfect for all year round.
Her pick: Jean Paul Gaultier Vintage Round Sunglasses from Vintage Sunglasses, USD$457.
4. I really like fine jewellery, and these little star rings are adorable. You can layer them in between plain rings or stack two or three star rings on top of each other.
Her pick: Garland Row Black Diamond Star Stacking Ring, $340.
5. Missoni beach towels are the best investment! Their iconic prints that never date – you will have these for years.
Her pick: Missoni Home Penny Beach Towel from Top 3 By Design, $315.
6. Fun beach umbrellas. We Are Handsome designed a range for Basil Bangs, and this one is my favourite. The ‘Jungle Fever’ print features lobsters, watermelon, passion fruit and palm prints – it’s perfect for the beach.
Her pick: We Are Handsome x Basil Bangs Jungle Fever Umbrella, $249.
7. I love this watermelon print clutch – it adds a fresh summer feel to any outfit.
Her pick: Ourlieu Watermelon Clutch, $39.95.
8. I used one of these Panama hats in a photo shoot and have been lusting after it ever since – it’s really flattering, skin-smart and stylish.
Her pick: My Red Lippy By Sarah Curtis Panama Hat in Black On Black, $189.
9. Summer lip gloss. My favourite is Victoria’s Secret’s Beauty Rush Shiny Kiss Flavoured Gloss in Candy Baby. It smells delicious, lasts ages and gives your lips a pretty shine.
Her pick: Victoria’s Secret Beauty Shiny Kiss Flavoured Gloss in Candy Baby, USD$10.
10. I really like this Jets by Jessica Allen one-piece swimsuit. The floral panels down the side are very flattering.
Her pick: Jets by Jessica Allen Brocade 50’s Halter Swimsuit in Shadow Musk.
What new-season trends do you love?
New tropical fruit prints: I’m particularly mad for anything with a pineapple or watermelon on it.
Kimonos and kaftans: There are so many different styles to choose from – be it maxi, midi or cropped, with or without tassels – and they are available in so many beautiful colours and prints. This flattering piece can be worn over swimwear in summer and over jeans and long sleeve top in winter.
Jumpsuits and playsuits: An easy outfit that looks just as cool for cocktails as it does for chilling at the beach.
Platform slides – they’re unflattering and ugly.
What are three spring/summer wardrobe essentials that every woman should own?
1. A maxi dress: Dress it up or dress it down – this simple style is always glamorous.
2. Statement sunglasses: These can transform a boring outfit into a fashionable one in seconds.
3. A nude strapless bra: This is an essential piece that every woman should own. Wear under dresses and any tops with sheer paneling on arms for a clean look.
Are there any pieces from your winter wardrobe that you’ll continue wearing once the weather warms up? What are they?
I will be wearing my kimonos and kaftans. My cotton scarves that I wore around my neck to keep me warm in winter will double as a shawl to wrap around my arms on cool summer nights. My shift dresses that I wore with tights and boots in winter will be worn with sandals.
What are your favourite go-to labels or shopping destinations that you visit each spring and summer?
I like to wear vintage clothing; I go to local markets (Bondi, Paddington, Surry Hills, Rozelle and Kirribilli markets) often. I also scour vintage shops such as C's flashback and Zoo Emporium and various charity stores. You never know what you will find; it’s so fun to buy something special that no one else will have.
I also visit Bali a few times a year and love to buy unusual dresses and jackets from the boutiques in Seminyak.
What’s your idea of the perfect warm weather outfit?
A simple light cotton dress in an interesting print, comfortable wedges or flat sandals, big vintage sunglasses and a printed canvas clutch bag.
What celeb/s will you be looking to for style inspo next season?
Imogen Poots, Sienna Miller, Kate Moss and Blake Lively.
What’s a common fashion faux pas that people women make during the warmer months?
Wearing ill-fitting clothing! If you have to constantly pull down or adjust your outfit, it is a bad fit. Women need to be realistic about their true sizes; don't buy a size 8 when you know you're a size 12 – your clothing will just feel tight and uncomfortable.
Similarly, don't buy sizes that are too big for you; they will just make you appear larger than you are. If you need help with this, go shopping with a friend who will give you an honest opinion or hire a stylist.
So, now we’ve talked fashion, what should we do with our hair and makeup?
Condition your hair each week with a hair mask, I really like S Factor by TIGI Serious Conditioner.
I have literally tried every foundation, and this Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation is the best!
In summer, I wear Invisible Zinc sunscreen on my face every day – it’s tinted and gives you a nice glow without that white sunscreen look.
Finally, do you have any secret styling tips you’d like to share?
Wear spanx under tight dresses and skirts to hide any lumps and bumps! My spanx are always the first thing I pull out of my styling kit on photo shoots – the difference is amazing.
Remember to always wear styles that suit your body shape. You can check what body shape you are with this body shape calculator.
All images courtesy of Kirsten Butler.