Aug 05, 2014 02:22
by Natasha Saroca
Meet Nicole Lucas. She’s a Sydney-born stylist who’s styled shoots for some of Australia’s most beloved fashion magazines, including Cosmopolitan (where she currently works as Junior Fashion Editor), Shop Til You Drop and Vogue Australia, plus she’s also worked as stylist for luxury fashion e-tailer, Net-A-Porter.
Given her impeccable fashion credentials (and her own killer style!), it’s no surprise that Nicole was on our wish-list of stylists we wanted to speak with for our spring/summer shopping list series; and luckily, we managed to catch up with the super-busy stylist just before she jetted off on a well-earned holiday! We owe you one, Nicole!
What are the top 10 must-have items on your spring/summer shopping list?
1. A neon PVC mini skirt. I love a statement skirt, and this one screams summer to me! I love the bright colour, and the PVC gives it an edge.
Her pick: Missguided Nagsia Neon Green PVC Mini Skirt, $35.98.
2. I’m so obsessed with KIINI’s crochet bikinis – this one is perfect for my upcoming USA trip!
Her pick: KIINI Tasmin Bikini Top, $155.
3. Nike Slides. They’re comfy, easy and look great with denim shorts.
Her pick: Nike Pink Benassi JDI Sliders from ASOS, $31.63.
4. Balenciaga Florabotanica. I’m obsessed with this fresh scent. The great packaging and bottle are an added bonus.
Her pick: Balenciaga Florabotanica 50ml from Myer, $125.
5. A strapless summer dress. I love this red For Love & Lemons dress – it’s sexy and simple at the same time. I’d pair it back with silver anklets and messy beach hair.
Her pick: For Love & Lemons Margarita Dress in Red from Revolve, $169.84.
6. Jeans that show skin. As it’s hot, I don’t usually wear jeans in summer, but I’d make an exception for this Bareskin Jean. Love the baggy shape.
Her pick: The Ragged Priest Bareskin Jean, £65.
7. An Auria bikini. The prints are fun and right up my alley!
8. A party clutch. River Island do the best quirky clutches – I love this pink Perspex one.
Her pick: River Island Pink Transparent Jewelled Box Clutch Bag, £35.00.
9. Denim shorts are my biggest essential – I have about 10 pairs! Love these OneTeaspoon dusty pink shorts for something different.
Her pick: OneTeaspoon Minnie Outlaws Denim Shorts, $99.
10. A Missoni beach towel. I love this bright Missoni print, and it’s something that will never go out of fashion.
Her pick: Missoni Home Hugo #59 Beach Towel from Spence & Lyda, $315.
What new-season trends do you love?
Sparkles and coloured metallics, candy-coloured pastels and crop-tops.
Geometric prints – they’ve been and gone!
What are three spring/summer wardrobe essentials that every woman should own?
Denim shorts, a beach-to-bar dress and a lightweight pastel trench.
Are there any pieces from your winter wardrobe that you’ll continue wearing once the weather warms up? What are they?
Crops tops – they’re here to stay! And wide-leg trousers; this summer, I’ll pair them back with crop-tops.
What are your favourite go-to labels or shopping destinations that you visit each spring and summer?
I love online shopping at ASOS, River Island and Missguided for fast, affordable fashion! I also like Cameo the Label as the pieces are fresh, great shapes and very affordable. Op shops and markets are my favourite shopping destinations! I always love finding vintage and original pieces.
What’s your idea of the perfect warm weather outfit?
High-waisted shorts, a crop-top, high tops and a pair of statement earrings.
What celeb/s will you be looking to for style inspo next season?
Rihanna, Beyoncé and Rita Ora – they’re my style icons. I also LOVE Anna Dello Russo for dressier occasions.
What’s a common fashion faux pas that people women make during the warmer months?
Shorts that are way too tight and bras hanging out of low back tops.
So, now we’ve talked fashion, what should we do with our hair and makeup?
Messy beach hair; dewy, bronzed skin; and the less makeup, the better.
Finally, do you have any secret styling tips you’d like to share?
When I’m styling, I always try and get into the mood of the shoot, how the model should pose and wear the clothing. I think it’s important to always style an outfit that you think will make people go “Wow, I want to be that girl!” even if it’s a work-wear outfit. Always try and put a creative spin on it.
All images courtesy of Nicole Lucas.