Jan 28, 2013 11:40
by Natasha Saroca
At Missy Confidential, we believe in smart shopping – that is, hunting down timeless or on-trend trans-seasonal buys that are perennially chic, rather than bulk buying season-sensitive pieces that see you celebrating a fashion win – then committing a fashion sin – just mere weeks later.
The secret to being a savvy shopper is looking for apparel and accessories that are oh-so-now but will also suit seasons to follow. Here’s our pick of classic pieces and on-trend finds you should snap up for a steal in the sales.
1. Skinny leg jeans elongate the legs, flatter any body shape when paired with the right pieces, and suit almost any occasion. Need we say more?
2. A statement necklace takes any ensemble to the next level, whether you’re heading to work or out for a night on the town.
3. Minimalist pieces in classic black and white are in for a massive few months.
4. Whether you prefer toting a crossbody or a large carry-all, there’s a tan handbag out there with your name on it. Yes, really.
5. If there’s one pair of shoes you must own, it’s a pair of nude heels. Why? They go with everything and can be worn anywhere.
6. A timeless beige trench instantly smartens up any outfit. And they’re flattering, too.
7. Ballet flats are chic, comfy and you can rock them all year round. Enough said.
8. Make a slouchy oversized knit winter-ready by teaming it with black skinny jeans, knee-high boots and a playful patterned scarf.
9. There’s a reason why everyone loves nautical-inspired ensembles: they’re casual yet effortlessly elegant...and easy to pull off with aplomb.
10. Colour blocking is here to stay. But rather than rocking all-over block brights when the temp heads south, why not try colour-blocked accessories, instead?
11. Forget fluorescent florals and go for shades that suit multiple seasons, like warm autumn hues or romantic pastels.
12. Sheer pieces take on a sexy look this autumn and winter. Pair with heavier fabrics, like wool and denim, for added warmth and coolness factor.
13. Emerald was recently crowned Pantone’s 2013 Colour of the Year, so expect to see this striking shade in everything from dresses to accessories for the next twelve months.
14. From sequins to silk, ruffles to ruching, Summer 2012/13 has truly been a celebration of texture. This love affair will continue, albeit with a mellower palette and a less frivolous edge.
15. Look-at-me patterns aren’t going anywhere in a hurry. Printed apparel in cool blues or moody tones – paired with chunky knits – will work best during the cooler months.
16. As summer makes way for autumn, expect metallic shades like bronze and iridescent blacks and greys to shine.
Word to the shopping wise: get in quick before these all-season essentials are snapped up!
*All prices correct and products available at time of publication.