Jan 07, 2013 05:05
by Caitlin Reid
The sun’s a shining! Summer is in full swing! Time for some of fashion’s greatest pleasures: floaty summer dresses, open toed sandals, sheer fabrics and cute shorts. Summer style is more fun and effortless than bundling up in winter layers, but what makes summer 2012/13 style special? Behold, this season your favourite summer trends evolve into stronger, futuristic looks.
1. Ribbon binding edging - Defining killer curves, this edging highlights your rocking bod. Loosely based on the bony framework of corsets from the old days, the exposed lines elongate your torso leaving you looking long and slim. Clever!
2. Asymmetrical hemlines - Who says hemlines have to match up? Rock the asymmetrical look this summer with ultra modern dresses and sleek skirts. Beware though, this trend is not the same as getting the buttons wrong on your shirt. That’s just plain awkward.
3. Modern racerbacks - Reveal those slender shoulders while keeping it classy. By embracing this high-fashion racer back style, your neckline stays ladylike, while your shoulders add a feline edge. Futuristic, feminine and flattering, this style is perfect for hot summer nights.
4. Paisley - Paisley haters beware, this busy pattern is back with a vengeance. Generously spaced paisley swirls are gracing summer staples from bikinis to maxi-dresses. Bright, summery hues from vibrant pink to cobalt blue resurrect this traditionally nerdy pattern, launching it into mainstream summer collections.
5. Flower power - If you agree with Miranda Priestly’s icy description: “...Florals? For spring? Ground breaking,” then listen up! Florals for summer 12/13 have gone hyper-bold, and brazenly demand attention. Forget girly floral prints, this summer’s flowers are powerful. Perhaps a nod to our resilience through the 2012 end-of-the-world scenario, these flowers inject an impressive punch into your summer wardrobe.
Summer 2012/13’s girl is ultra modern, fresh, powerful and daring. Jump outside the box and try some of these new takes on old-school summer trends.