Apr 15, 2013 01:26
by Natasha Saroca
It may be mid-autumn, but it’s clear that summer’s not ready to leave us just yet. Don’t get us wrong, we’re not complaining – who wouldn’t want blue skies, sunshine and beautiful beach weather to linger for that little bit longer?
But fast forward a month or two and chances are Mother Nature won’t be so kind to us. Yes, we can’t deny it any more: the cold snap is coming.
However, the change in season isn’t all bad news. After all, now you actually have an excuse to hit the shops, and replenish your wardrobe with winter weather staples. Go on, admit it. Just the thought makes your heart hurt a little bit less, doesn’t it?
If you’re putting off your afternoon of retail therapy in favour of soaking up the sun while you can, don’t worry. We’ve done a bit of (virtual) window shopping for you, and rounded up 15 essential buys that will help you stay chic and cosy, all winter long.
1. If there’s one item you need in your winter wardrobe, it’s a leather biker jacket. Pair with jeans and a classic white tee for an effortlessly cool look, or a killer dress and boots for an everyday yet edgy vibe.
2. Tracksuit pants have come a long way in the last decade. They’re perfect for lounging around at home, and if you don’t feel like changing before heading out for the night, simply slip on a pair of heels and a sparkly top, and you’re good to go.
3. Cosy woollen mitts are a must-have for those chilly winter mornings and nights.
4. A chic T-shirt dress makes getting ready in the morning oh-so-easy. Simply team with tights and booties on those not-so-cold days, or with slim-fitting pants for a sleek, tailored look.
5. Black leather boots. It’s a no-brainer.
6. Animal prints are an all-season favourite, and add a pop of attitude to otherwise simple ensembles.
7. Oxblood and burgundy are the colours to watch this season. Expect these rich tones to take shape in the form of coats, jeans, knits, accessories and more.
8. Fur was a favourite with designers who showed their Autumn/Winter 2013 collections at Fashion Month. Stick with the faux kind, friends.
9. Cobalt is another hue that’s hot, hot, hot this season. Pair with electric brights to...erm...brighten up those drab winter days.
10. Gumboots: they’re cute and practical. What’s not to love?
11. A casual knit can be worn with pretty much everything. You should have at least one plain and one patterned cardi or sweater in your closet.
12. Beanies. They’re an essential for two reasons: a) they’ll keep your ears toasty warm; and b) they’re a godsend on bad hair days.
13. Capes were another common fixture on the catwalks during Fashion Month. From voluminous cropped creations to tuxedo styles, there’s a design to suit every shape and style.
14. Why buy a boring black umbrella when you can have a pretty and playful one, instead?
15. Peplums are sticking around for another season. If you don’t have any peplummed pieces, catch up. Quick.